Monday, August 31, 2009

Aaaah... Twilight.

On Friday, I gave Twilight a try. The book, not the movie. I have several reactions to the first hundred pages, which I struggled to get through and scrapped the book after that.

Reaction #1: From a writer's standpoint, the voice Stephanie Meyers uses is passive. (Example: "He was looking at her." vs. the active voice - "He looked at her.") That all but drove me insane. Not completely, but it came thisclose. I toyed with the idea of counting how many times the word "was" occurred on each page. This gave me a thumb-down right off the bat.

Reaction #2: High school romantic drama. Need I say more? *gags*

Reaction #3: I fail to see how great the "hero" of this story is if he's stalking the heroine. Yes, I said stalking.

Reaction #4: Aren't vampires evil? The whole story had a darkness shadowing it, which, I think, is a main draw.

Reaction #5: Well... At least she had a Chevy truck... (I'm stretching for a good point to mention)

My vote on this book is for you to pass on it. Go find something better to read. It won't be that difficult.

4 comments:

  1. I like this blog! But why didn't you call yourself "Lyric"? :-(
    And in what way are you "tired" of Punmaster's Palace?
    Honestly, I scrapped my Suzy's Scribbles blog over here on blogger and plan to concentrate on either Andi's blog and/or my "book bait" blog, which you may find of interest:

    http://www.bookbait.blogspot.com

    Lots of writing and publishing hints. A fellow author and I co-author it

    I just have too little time and had too many blogs. I also deleted the Writing Workshop blog over on HSB. I put all my Suzy's Stories into pdf files and have a link from my Website rather than on the blogger blog (but I haven't scrapped that one yet. But I will. Maybe). I'm just tired of so many BLOGS and not time.

    Keep writing, and I'll keep follow'.
    I've always enjoyed your humorous blog posts, and blogger is much easier. And . . . you should at least put your Malkari blog link over here, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I coulda told you that without even picking it up. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I was happy enough to read reviews and say, “Eew! Yuck!” and then an 11-yo of my acquaintance asked me to read it, because she thought it was great. Now that I’ve read a very small part of it, I can see what emo teens might see in Twilight, but a happy little kid? The only explanation I can come up with is that she’s still of the age where she reads books, but the true message doesn’t stand out. And that scares me."

    yeah scares me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love "thisclose". Too bad you couldn't squish them any closer. :D

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Go ahead! :)