Thursday, February 10, 2011

Mighty Mike, February Edition

Mighty Mike should be coming home soon. Today or tomorrow. He posted on facebook that he hopes I'm his nurse because my cooking makes hospital food taste good. Hmm... I'm THAT bad? ...Narcotic pain killers, much?... He then apologized and said he meant to say my cooking is WAY better than hospital food and he can keep eating and eating and eating and eating...

***

I had an interesting thought earlier. It went like this...

Is YHVH-God more important than loyalty our country? What do you mean by that, Cora? Well, whenever we hear the National Anthem, we are compelled to stand, gentlemen remove their hats, and treat the occasion with utmost respect (unless you're the one singing, in which case you can apparently mess it up all you want...). How many of us totally zone out while singing hymns, praises, and psalms? We have rules regarding honoring our nation's flag by keeping it in as pristine a condition as we can. ...while our books of Scriptures are hidden under piles of junk on the coffee table or sitting on the floors of our cars to get stepped on or become moldy.

Is that ok? Please discuss...

2 comments:

  1. Personally, I think loyalty to your country is important (and I like hearing the National Anthem) but some people definitely take it too far. I don't agree with some of the nationalistic opinions I hear.

    Regarding the flag, I do know that the USA takes its flag more seriously than other countries do (like having the complicated way of folding it and pledge allegiance and things like that) which seems a bit unnecessary to me.

    Hmm, not sure if that was the kind of discussion you wanted (in which case feel free to ignore!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely allow this kind of discussion! :-D Some of the rules with the flag include:

    Raising it above any other flags (state or other country), requiring it to be fully illuminated 24 hours per day, folding it properly, never letting it touch the ground, never using it for a decoration/clothing, pledging loyalty to it, reverently retiring a worn out flag by burning it...

    All that for a bit of cloth. I agree with being loyal to country (who wants anarchy?), but really? We treat our country with far more reverence than we do our country's professed spiritual and moral guide. Maybe that's a good thing to people who don't believe in YHVH-God, but I dunno... :-/

    Thanks for visiting me so loyally, Rose! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Go ahead! :)