Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Erm, what do you DO?

I was recently asked to list all my interests and hobbies. So I thought as long as I had them typed out, I'd copy them over to here. I've added some more that I've thought of in the meantime.

My interests:

Farming/self-sufficient lifestyle
What I call "Mundane History." How average/poor people lived during the course of history. What did they wear? What were their customs? What work did they do? Why did they believe as they did? Things like that.
Children
Theology, and specifically WHY people believe as they do. Why do YOU believe as you do?
Cows
Science fiction/fantasy
Baseball (Mariners for the win! ...or maybe that should be "for the loss!" ...Or maybe that's a bad joke. I love the Mariners, though.)
Forests
Non-feminism*
Astronomy
Politics
Costuming and research (again, mundane costumes)
Languages (any/all except for French. I can't make myself like the nasally tone. I like gut-languages like German)
Wilderness survival
Drinking tea :)
Vegetable/Orchard gardening
Lord of the Rings (esp. The Hobbit, and no, I won't watch the movie when it comes out)
Volunteering/Community building
Family History
Natural living (eating organic [hey, quit looking at my French Vanilla Coffee Mate! *hugs bottle*], wearing natural fiber clothes, not wearing jewelry...)
Applied algebra (see sewing)
Livestock training (esp. training of oxen. One day I will have a team of oxen)
Kindness and forgiveness


Hobbies:

Any yarn/needle craft (no, ANY. I tat, crochet, knit, do naalbinding [a little]...)
Leatherworking
Woodburning
Singing
Playing my zither
Whittling
Modeling clay into tiny, little people (this was a home business for a while)
Beadwork
Sewing (without real patterns - mostly mathematical equations)
Fabric dyeing (indigo shibori and natural dyes)
Paper altering
Weaving
Basketry
Cheesemaking
Scrabble
Baking
Other cooking
Playing with my animals
Babysitting
Laundry (why, um, yes, I actually love to do laundry. ::shame::)
Rocking out with the guys
Playing video games with my feet while knitting.
Spoiling my brothers
Oh, yeah... writing... This should be higher on the list. ::shame again::
Making dumb jokes that make people smile
Hiking
Learning
Canning/freezing food

Dislikes:

Dogs
Yeah, that's about it. I like just about everything but dogs.


*As I was asked to explain what non-feminism is, here's what I wrote:

I mean that I understand and value what the feminist movement accomplished in making women able to do more of what was historically the "man's job" (in the workforce, etc.), but for me, personally, I don't hold with some of the core ideas that spurred the movement. Some of the ideas I DO value (for instance, I vote in every election, I went to college, I have a job outside the home), so I am not for ANTI-feminism, which is becoming a popular phrase. I'm using the opportunity created by feminism to choose a different life than what feminists hold as their ideal.

So I'm not against feminism or feminists. I'm not really actively for it, either. I (Me, myself, and Cora) believe I am equal to a man, but I am also different from a man, and I will expand my life in such a way as to revel in that difference (which includes being a follower, not a fellow leader).

Maybe I just don't like generalized titles, because there is ALWAYS something inside the umbrella that is that title (or the reputation of the title) that doesn't fit me. :-P

And anyone who calls themselves a feminist is totally okay in my book, because I understand that my lifestyle is not for everyone, and if they are not offended by mine, they might even become interested. :-)

My interest really is seeing what people on either side think (the "feminists" and "anti-feminists") and discovering my own beliefs between the two, drawing from their experiences and studies to round out my viewpoint with a more realistic, grounded opinion.

This is also part of my interest in theology and maybe even psychology to some extent. Why do people think the way they do, and how can I interact with them in a way they will understand and appreciate, or maybe even help keep myself and others afloat in this world through their successes and failures, all without compromising my principles? It's all very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Go ahead! :)