Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Re-Cap on the Trip

Yesterday... ah, yesterday...

The journey East began the night before, when the Cowboy got me and drove out to his parents' house (almost an hour east of here). We got there at 10:30. The next hour was spent rushing about getting canning jars prepared, things packed, and enjoying random jabber. We knocked off about midnight, the Cowboy went home, and we all went to bed. I ended up not getting to sleep until about 4 in the morning (sleep and I have an issue-filled relationship that I am trying to resolve, but to no avail). At 6:30 sharp, we were roused, fed, and preparations to leave were underway. 8:30 we pulled out of the driveway.

Commence future SIL's mobile internet connection and Pandora Radio with minor arguments between members of the outfit regarding gummy bears, speed limits, and whether we listen to classic rock or country music.

I have no idea what time it was when we reached the destination (a fruit field owned by a good friend of my great uncle). We picked a bazillion boxes of peaches. I think there were nine in all. Then four boxes of pears and five of tomatoes. I saw okra for the first time! And brought home some purple bell peppers! I had no idea those existed! Then we stopped for burgers and headed home.

Commence more music and minor arguments.

The Cowboy got me home at about 8-8:30pm and I went to milk my goats. And that was about it. Woot. I brought back to my mother three boxes of peaches, one box of pears, and one box of tomatoes. And two purple peppers (how could you pass THAT up?). Oh, and a cantaloupe.

And an acorn squash. Oooooooh, I can almost taste the buttery, brown-sugary goodness in that squash, cooked up in the oven until the butter melts and turns the sugar into a lava sauce that burns your mouth and is divine... *hearts* I love food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Go ahead! :)