Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Review: The Last Airbender

I give this movie a very generous two stars out of five. I didn't know anything about it when my brother invited me to go with him and see it. Some thoughts:

1. Practice of magic. I don't particularly mind creatures in stories that are inherently magical (fairies with wands, etc). What I do object to is the study and practice of magic. Thumbs down.

2. Romance for the sake of reviews. People, seriously. You don't make the secondary character brother fall in love (*gasp! I think I'm in love!*) with the (*swoons*) unbelievably beautiful princess. They spend every moment in the background of scenes holding hands and looking cute and adorable. And then... Alas, she must die, but for a very noble cause! Insert intense music and dramatic final kiss... Then she dies. And we were all like, "Whoop-de-doo. I don't even remember her name." If you're going to make a short, secondary romance and then kill her, don't play it all up to be over-dramatic. Thumbs down.

3. Martial arts and action. So I have a thing for martial arts. I kind of adore it. This and Thought #4 made this movie worth watching for me. So much fighting action! Woo! Thumbs up.

4. Katara's costumes. Oh. My. Word. I so want to copy her blue dress. And the fur one. Rarely do you see movies set in this style where the women/girls wear decent clothing, and these... were fabulous. During the movie, I had to whisper to my mom how much I love them. I am so making myself the blue dress. HERE is a link to an ok picture. Apparently the people at IMDB don't care about costume fanatics or they would have posted a bunch more pictures of Katara. :-P Thumbs WAY UP!

So there are four thoughts. The movie was very meh.

1 comment:

  1. Ehh, that movie doesn't sound very good. Thanks for the review, now I will be aware and not watch that movie.

    Blessings,
    Maggie
    www.foreverfindingmybliss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Go ahead! :)