Sunday, May 9, 2010

I Gots Me Some Culture, Yo

I thought I had plenty of culture before. Why, once I read the entire Reader's Digest version of Jane Eyre! How much more cultured can you get?

But, apparently that kind of culture is not what you need when making cheese. You need moldy-type cultures (could'a fooled me... I sure thought Jane Eyre was moldy).

So my dear mother just finished ordering some cheesy cultures (Chevre and one other) and butter muslin online. It will not be long before there will be a bounty of cheese in my home!



Although it won't look quite like those ^^ ...They'll be more crumbly and fresh and yummy. You get the idea. :) My dad says I will soon be "The Cheese Whiz." Um... Thanks, Dad...


Another bright part of today: my face is not quite so swollen today. One side is all purply-bruised, though. Ouch.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear you're feeling a little less chipmunk-ish tonight. :) Sorry I haven't been commenting much lately... It's been busy here, but I guess you probably know that already...

    I wish you well with your cheese-making! We usually just make Queso Blanco (vinegar cheese) or Mozzarella, but would like to find an easy recipe for hard cheeses like cheddar and colby.....

    I'd best get to bed though, so I can get up in the morning when the others do. (I just got home from working in town a little bit ago.)

    Sweet dreams~
    Cora

    ReplyDelete
  2. the Cheez Whiz, LOL. :D

    Yes, Miss Language has just finished her second year of school. The Bananlets run between 11 & 19 at present.

    And our weather is SLOWLY warming up, I am glad to report.

    How is your brother? and is the chipmunk look fading? When Miss L had her wisdom teeth out, Mr Music asked her in all seriousness if her face would stay square forever. She was not amused.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheesemaking, I invite you to peruse my daughters blog: www.theupperroad.blogspot.com there are a few posts about cheese. She is an accomplished cheesemaker and has done several kinds. I would think she would be happy to share and/or help if you wanted some encouragement. I am so glad you are going to do cheesemaking. I like to make cottage cheese and feta, and mozzarella. Grace has more of a flair for the work though, even blue type. My husband and I have given her leftovers from a chunk of something we purchased to go with a small snack when out to town and she can take that small chunk as a start culture and get something good- its amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Go ahead! :)