Wednesday, May 26, 2010

There's a Hole in My Bucket, Dear Liza...

There's no real significance behind the song in the title. It just happens to be stuck in my head. By the way, do you know that song? I started singing it while at the Cowboy's house, and they all looked at me like I was mad. I thought everyone knew "There's a Hole in My Bucket."

My "surrogoat" children are growing up. 6 weeks old. Wow. Doesn't seem like that long ago I was down there with the nanny Joanna giving birth to tiny, little Gareth Joraiem and Jerusha Rielle. But the children are reminding me daily of how much they're growing. They destroy their little hay-fort-pen EVERY day. You have no idea how much I can't wait until they're too big to escape the hillside pen and I can get them out of the barn and out of my hair. Literally.

We have a bazillion little calves now. And there will be pictures of various baby creatures at some point so you can "awwwwww" over them.


As a side thought, I took the new kitten out to meet some of the older cats. The Blimp (fat, old, yellow cat) thought kitten was a bit of a novelty and cute. However, my cat Joshua (His Majesty, the .~*Self-Proclaimed Supreme Ruler of the Universe*~.) thought kitten was a shameful offering from his human pets, and please take it away, because I find it offensive and irritating, thankyouverymuch. *sigh* Cats...


In other news, not animal-related, I tried out naalbinding. I got a handle on the basics with yarn and a huge-ish, wooden needle. Now, when Cora learns something, the first thing she does is make it miniature. SO! I've almost finished a fingerless glove that is 1/5" across at the wrist. A little less than a centimeter. Yes, I'm crazy. News #2: I felted myself a belt. News #3: Yesterday, I found 4 yards of some beautiful, brown, high quality wool fabric (plaid) from New York... for $4.00 at a thrift store. Win! :)

7 comments:

  1. Sooooo no photos? What is up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's up with that is a missing camera. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you're keeping very pleasantly busy too. :)

    I know the song, "There's a hole in my bucket...." and my brother Andrew and I used to sing it over and over when we were little. My parents did it as a skit too for my grandparents' 50th anniversary many years ago. I would have thought most everyone had heard of that one too. :) While I'm talking of silly songs.... Have you ever heard the song, Sweet Violets? It's got a sad ending, but some of the verses are pretty funny.

    I'd best get to bed though. It's tomorrow already here on the prairie!

    Sweet dreams~
    Cora

    ReplyDelete
  4. The little boy and I love to sing this song..and I'll admit others have looked at me strange when I have sung it. hmmm...Dear Henry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. and they all looked at me like I was mad. I thought everyone knew "There's a Hole in My Bucket."
    Songs often pop into our head. Its hard when we are just being ourselves and we think: "what are others thinking about me." I read a small exerpt about a man who entered an elevator with a group of people all looking stiffly forward, saying nothing. He decided he was going to stand up against the doorr and face all those there and say: If this elevator got stuck we would all be able to say hello and get to know one another" He felt when all left as the elevator approached its proper floor they thought he was crazy: a man wanting to get to know someone on an elevator. His point: Who says that we all have to look stiffly forward when we ride on an elevator. Who says we all have to know the songs we are singing.
    I have sung your song at times in my home because its embedded in my head from childhood and I've only known one Liza in my life and she died at a very young age and I loved her.. when I sing it I think of her... Anyways.. just some rambling thoughts about your post and what came to my mind..
    Love Ya,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! You did nalbinding! Do you mind sharing a picture of what you made with nalbinding? I am finished with one of my nalbinded socks and am almost to the heel on the second one. I learn a new stitch and I am itching to start a new pair of socks with the new stitch. The stitch that I learned is called Åsle (al). Have fun nalbinding! I sure am!
    ~Grace
    our kids are growing fast too :)

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Go ahead! :)